Sunday, August 21, 2011

Preschool Pre-Season :)

Two posts in one month?! This must be some sort of a post-Alec record! :)
Well, the big day is almost upon us...we are exactly 48 hours away from Andra's first day of preschool! I mentioned in my last post I'm a little nervous and sad about it...but the closer it gets, the more excited I get for her. I truly think she's going to love it.

A couple weeks ago, we visited her classroom and met her teacher during the "meet and greet" afternoon. Andra was so...Andra. We walked into the room, and she confidently made a bee-line for the table of trains, planes and automobiles (populated entirely by boys), completely bypassing the gaggle of little girls at the kitchen playset. :) 'Atta girl. I love that she marches to the beat of her own drum. Next was blocks (mostly boys again), and then she chatted with her teacher for a few minutes...and finally, a trip to the playground. It earned her seal of approval. And mission accomplished...the afternoon seemed to help both of us get rid of the butterflies and get excited about the school year ahead. I'm relieved...her teacher has so many fun things planned, her style matches my parenting style (very structured, scheduled days..Andra should feel right at home!), and she's a veteran with 15 years of preschool teaching under her belt. It still tugs at my heartstrings that Andra will be starting this whole new life completely independent of me...but that's what kids are supposed to do, right? Spread their wings and fly. (sniffle)

After her meet and greet afternoon, we had a little date at the nearby Starbucks (which is VERY conveniently located for Mommy for preschool drop-off and pick-up..uh-oh!). We had a fun afternoon just the two of us celebrating this new chapter in her little life (note: that's not espresso in her cup, just some good 'ol chocolate milk!).




Speaking of starting a new chapter...Alec is WALKING!!! He went from being a weeble wobble to a confident walker in just a matter of days! It was pretty incredible to watch, and my heart is just bursting with pride. I have tried my darnedest to upload the video to our blog, but to no avail. And a photo just doesn't do his cute little waddle justice. :) Andra didn't walk until after her first birthday, so Alec beat her by over a month! I knew he would...he's gotta keep up with her afterall!

In other news, we're gearing up for the kids' double birthday bash in just a few weeks. Since their birthdays are only 2 days apart, we'll be combining the parties into one. I'm making it my mission to be less "hostess" and more mommy that day, so I can just soak it in.

So...I guess it's goodbye to the summer, since we're officially part of the "back to school" season now. We'll let you know how it goes!





No comments: